Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Vava'u Whale Watch and Swim (Day 5 of 6)

I felt better about Day 5 than I did Day 4.  I was hoping it would be a better day.
Unlike the other days (Day 1, 2, & 3), the first group of whales did not dive and avoid us. They were not staying in one spot, but at least they stayed on the surface.

It was exciting to take my gear out of my bag after...much less get in the water after Day 4.  They swam too fast for me to get a look when I first jumped in. I only saw blue water.  On the second try, I saw a blur of 2 whales. I was able to get a good look a 3 whales swimming under me on the third try. It was quick but great to see a humpback. They dove deep and were gone.
King's Island
We ate lunch on the King's Island. Apparently, the old king was burried in a coral tomb at the top of the island. This island was a landmark all week.  It is distinctive and easy to see.   It looked like a wide brimmed ladies hat or a crocadlie ready to pounce depending on how I squinted my eyes. The island was great...a pretty beach, snorkeling, and a trail that led into the densely packed vegetation.

I followed the trail after eating my tuna sandwich. I was surprised at how dark it became ...how quickly. It was fun. I felt like I was in a huge dense forest, not a 2 minute walk from a beach. I would have loved to have continued up the path but we were given a 5 minute warning....we had a whale. Yea!

Back on the boat we raced 20 minutes straight out. Another boat had been swimming with a set of whales and offering to share with us. We arrived and they were jumping in for the last time. Their whale guide helped indicate the direction that they were swimming after the whales dived again. We moved, waited and the whales surfaced. They ended up turning in front of our path. It was a very quick pass by but our swimmers were at least able to get a good look. The whales dove a couple more times and we left them alone.

On the way back we went over to where another boat has been swimming with a mom and calf.  There was one boat with them that somehow turned into two.  We decided to wait for a turn.
Unfortunately, the boats took way too long and a huge cargo boat moved through which made the whales dive.  We waited and waited and waited. 

They resurfaced.  We took our opportunity and jumped in.  It was the largest female yet with a calf from last year. Wow. Immense. Massive!!

We were able to see the whales as they swam next to us. They spent a little time there and then slowly swam away.
AMAZING!
We were so lucky to have stayed out on the water for an extended time. I think they allowed us to stay out late because we did not get to go swimming the day before. On our way back to the island, we were treated to a glorious sunset. The sky was painted with such vibrant color that played with the clouds creating a beautiful symphony. Wow...this world is amazing.
Isn't it interesting...the sun sets every day but there are those days that a simple sunset catches you so off guard.  Here's to not being jaded in life and enjoying the little things...to appreciating the sunsets every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment